Friday, March 20, 2009

Potty Training or Potty Train?

Depending on who you ask Elijah is potty training or on the potty train, I bet you can guess who says & thinks what. So, we have been attempting this potty training since his birthday with no great success. I am really trying to follow Elijah's lead in this area but some days are just frustrating & we do not seem to be on the same page or have the same plan. For example on a day that I know we are going to be home all day I suggest he wear big boy pants, undies, underwear, or whatever he wants to call them on any given day & Elijah has no desire or want to follow my suggestion and insist on a diaper. Then there are the days that I know we are going to be out that he DEMANDS to wear big boy pants and will not wear a diaper. One day I hope we are on the same schedule.

The past few days he has been telling me when he is peeing in his diaper & I tell him he should be using the potty lets go (I say this very nicely) he says NO and proceeds to pull his diaper open and watch himself pee...Who does this? The the past few mornings he gets up comes in our room to wake us as he always so kindly does and then eventually runs back to his room scoots up on to his bed and announces "I peeing!!" I then go to see what he is doing to find him squatting and yes in fact peeing (in his diaper)...WHY? He clearly knows he needs to pee & poop so why won't he just use the potty, I asked my Elijah this question the other day & he responded that he had no money to buy a ticket for the potty train. Then today he decided he was wearing undies because he was a big boy. Fantastic, until he had one accident and he wanted to put the diaper back on however he did make it till 1:30 before that happened. Prior to the accident every half hour I asked if he needed to use the potty or even poop since he had not pooped yet today. Well, he did not poop on schedule this morning and therefore caused a backup! Yup, after coming home from a nice impromptu outing at Ikea with Sue, Cam, & Arianna I found him squatting and bending over in the living room grunting, I of coursed asked if he was ok. Elijah said that his stomach hurt and the poop was stuck, he then started yelling "Poop you come out of me RIGHT NOW!!!" thankfully he took my suggestion and sat on the potty and successfully pooped. He requested undies instead of a diaper after and he went without an accident all the way to bed.

So, here is where we are....Elijah knows when he needs to go but only wants to go when he wants so I guess I am just going to see where it takes us. If only he had money for the potty train then this process might go a whole lot quicker!

7 comments:

Ln said...

Ok...how much does the potty train cost? Leave it to Elijah! That's too funny.

KiKi said...

My goodness, just give the kid a Dime and tell him to hold it in his pocket so he always has some money for the potty train when he needs to get on. LoL, I almost peed in my pants when I read that.

hahaha. that Elijah.

Sue said...

Ok, how does he know you have to pay to ride the train?? These kids are too damn smart! I think its great that he knows when he's peeing. Can you maybe make a game out of it? My friend suggested I teach Cam to pee standing up b/c its easier...so maybe tell him he can *really* see it if he goes in the potty or put some of the targets in the potty and let him aim at them? He seems to be very competitive like his Mommy so maybe something like that would work?

You're an awesome Mom and I look up to you in so many ways so please figure this out, I'll need you in a few months! ;o)

kerilee77 said...

Landon likes to pee standing up and we started putting fruit loops in the toilet today and he had a blast "aiming" at them to sink them. Only problem was, he wanted to keep doing it after he was done going and I had to try to explain to him that he ran out of pee and had to wait to do it again later. That turned into a nice big tantrum! They say boys are harder to potty train...I wonder if it's true.

Tanya said...

I just laughed so hard! Lucy is going to wear diapers at her wedding one day.

Michelle said...

I love Elijah!!!!!!! He is so funny! I tell ya, that kid makes me smile everyday with one of your stories and I love it because I feel like I see him even if I don't get to as much as I'd love to.

Michelle said...

p.s. I know it is making ya think he is such a boy, but it is great that he knows when he is peeing and is fascinated by it. He'll be using the potty in no time.