Saturday, July 11, 2009

I should listen to my mother.

I really should just start listening to my mother because 99.9% of the time she is correct. In this instance I am referring the topic of potty training. She continually told me not to worry about it and it would happen on it's own. I of course have tried to potty train Elijah several times in the last six months but with not much success. I really have a hard time when things do not go as I set out for them to be and since the conception of my Elijah I am reminded time and time again that it is not always my way. Anyway, I started to get nervous about the potty training and asked every mother of boys that I bumped into who had a child NOT in diapers how they did it. Funny enough they all had a similar answer to my mom, "It will happen when they are ready." I can now share first hand that this is TRUE! Elijah woke up one morning and simply decided enough is enough no more diapers. Cookie and I followed his lead with a few occasional reminders and success! I am proud to report that we only have had about 4 accidents in the last month and this also includes naps and overnights. I am so proud of my Elijah and I am proud to say yes he is officially potty trained!

A few tid bits I would share with my fellow mommies:

Skip the pull-up it is kind of confusing, a waste of money, and horrible for the planet. We used the Gerber training pants & the Imse Vimse organic cotton training
pants.

Stay close to home for a few days in the begining.

Reward Chart works wonders, it amazes me how happy Elijah was to get a simple gold star.

Read lots of books about the subject. We have a few favorites if anyone is interested let me know.

Finally simply follow their lead!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Good work!!!!!
We are hopeful to give up the pull ups soon. She does great all day but still wants them for bed time. Thanks for the tips though we might transition to those for bedtime.

kerilee77 said...

Hooray! Landon has only had I think 2 accidents in the past week (with the exception of overnight). He is dry after his naps (we still use a pull-up at naptime just in case) and is sometimes dry in the mornings. He is pretty much potty trained during his waking hours, though, which is all we needed for preschool. Yay! It's amazing what a gummy bear bribe will do...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanya said...

My child will likely never be potty trained. In discussion last week she told me "Well...I am just not like the other big kids." Le sigh...